Blueberry Cinnamon French Toast
Serves 6 to 8
This low calorie vegan recipe has no cholesterol, saturated fat, or refined sugar, but it is just as decadent as traditional french toast. The blueberry compote is rich in antioxidants, vitamin C, and fiber, which adds an extra punch to this seasonal brunch.
- 2 pints blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup or agave
- ½ lemon, juice and zest
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Cinnamon French Toast
- 1 loaf French or whole wheat bread
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups soy, almond, or rice milk
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup, plus extra for serving
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Powdered sugar for garnish
To make the Blueberry Compote: In small saucepot over low heat, combine blueberries, maple syrup, lemon juice and zest, and cinnamon. Let simmer for 10 minutes, or until mixture is soft and syrupy. Set aside.
To make the Cinnamon French Toast: Slice bread into ¾” thick slices. In medium bowl whisk together flour, nondairy milk, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt.
Heat oil in large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Submerge each slice of bread in the batter to coat, and then heat on skillet. Flip French Toast and let cook until lightly browned and crisp on both sides. Repeat with remaining bread slices.
Serve Cinnamon French Toast topped with sifted powdered sugar and Blueberry Compote.