Chocolate Chip Banana Cake
Makes 1 (5- x-10-inch) loaf
Incredibly moist banana cake with gooey dark chocolate chips. Could life get any better?
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (or gluten-free all-purpose flour plus 1 teaspoon xanthan gum)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup mashed bananas (approximately 2 very ripe bananas, mashed on a plate using the back of a fork)
- 1 cup canned coconut milk, mixed well before measuring
- ½ cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons white or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (dairy-free)
- Powdered sugar for garnish
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 5- x 10-inch loaf pan.
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger. In a separate bowl, whisk together bananas, coconut milk, oil, vinegar, and vanilla. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and whisk until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips; do not over mix.
Spread the batter evenly into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 50 to 60 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean with a few crumbs clinging to it. Rotate the pan halfway through baking time. Let cool then sift with powdered sugar.